It is longer time from my last post. At last part I wrote about Entrecard as possible source of traffic for your blog. For better traffic it is also important to have backlinks on your pages. Only web with existing backlinks is visible on internet and has some value for search engines. Usually backlinks are more important to mark your page as valuable source, than good source for traffic.
There is more possibilities to gain some backlinks for your pages. I will show you more ways, how to gain them. In this part I will show you the basic one. I will show you how to submit your blog to various directories. It is not easy to promote your blog. Submission to directories is very time consuming process. There are many important questions, before you start to submit your blog. I will try to define them and answer on them.
- When to start to submit my blog? Answer on this question is simple. You need to have some content before submitting your blog. Owners of directories usually approve only submissions with some valuable content.
- In how many directories I need to submit my blog? Simply said more is better. It is good to submit your blog to directories permanently.
- Where to find directories? You can find them of course on my pages. Go to my SEO directories list. There you can find thousands of them.
- How to choose right ones? There are more opinions on this question. It is good to choose directories with high Google page rank of course. But many directories has high page rank only because they were created on strong domains. These domains usually drop down in short time. Sometimes it is better to choose new directories, because they usually grow faster and you will be approved sooner. There are of course very strong old directories. I recommend you order my list by Website Force. It is my own complex rank for pages.
- How to automate submissions? As I said above, submission is very time consuming process. You can do it yourself, or you can choose from thousands of submission services. Many of them offer you submission to thousands directories for very good prices. But usually quality of these services is very poor. These submitters usually use some software to automate this process. The software can submit your blog to many directories but with low success rate. Owners of directories hate these SPAM submitters and usually decline such submissions. I can offer you truly manual submission service for affordable price, but here is not place for ads. You can also try to submit your blog yourself using some software. You can do it with better success rate. The best way is of course manual submission. You can do it with help of online tools and add-ons for Firefox. How to do it I will show you in the next paragraph.
- What are important data for submissions? When you are submitting data to directories, you need to enter data to submission forms. Some from them are very important, and they must to be chosen very wisely. Especially anchor text (Title in forms). Anchor link content have to be keyword for which do you want to be visible in search engines. It is rule not to use the same anchor text for all submissions, but vary it with more keywords. Also description can be important. Sometimes you need to enter keywords in submission form. These keywords help you find your page in directory itself.
At next parts of these series I will show you, how to prepare your submission data, how to install add-ons, that will help you with your effort, and how to submit your blog or web to directories.
Used terms and abbreviationsBacklinks
are incoming links to a website or web page. In the search engine optimization (SEO) world, the number of backlinks is one indication of the popularity or importance of that website or page (though other measures, such as PageRank, are likely to be more important). Outside of SEO, the backlinks of a webpage may be of significant personal, cultural or semantic interest: they indicate who is paying attention to that page.
are installable enhancements to the Mozilla Foundation’s projects (and compatible variants such as Portable Firefox). Add-ons allow the user to add or augment application features, use themes to his or her liking, and handle new types of content.
The anchor text
or link label is the visible, clickable text in a hyperlink. The words contained in the Anchor text can determine the ranking that the page will receive by search engines.
In the last post we generated ad code for your blog. Now, it is time to add this code on your pages. From Google AdSense Program Policies you know, that you can add up to 3 ads on each page.
You can do it in 2 manners:
- Straight to blog post With this approach you will add ad, while you are writing new post. Advantage of this manner is, that ad is better inserted into existing text, and can be on the hottest place of blog, as you can see on the heat map from previous post. You can also change position of ads in various posts. Disadvantage of this approach is, that you must know basics of HTML, and your post will be worse editable in Blogger. Next disadvantage is that visitors don’t like ads composed in text, and can reconsider, if they return back to your pages in the future. You also must check number of ads for each blog page.
- Update template of blog Second manner is to add your code to template, and it will be shown on each page of blog. Advantage is that you must do it only once. When you add code to header of your page, there are still on good place. In your posts will be only text and not ad code. Disadvantage is, that you will gain probable less clicks like with first approach. If you want to add more ads in template, you must find next places for them in template. It means, that you must know basics of Blogger template code and HTML.
I prefer second approach and in this post I will show you how to insert ad into header of page, what is one from the best places on page.
To find right place in blog template is not easy. Various templates can have various template code, but there is possibility of Preview and it will help you a lot.
Go to Blogger.com pages and login there. Select your blog, and click on link Template. You will see simple editor with your template. There, you have to find right place for your ad code. Template is divided to more parts. On top is usually CSS styles code.
HTML code with body of your page starts with text <body>. You must add your code somewhere between this tag and </body> tag.
To find header of your blog in template, try find something like:
If you will you find it, then with high probability you have right place for your code. It will be placed between these 2 tags.
If not, find only:
and try ad your code bellow above this tag.
Insert on this place code:
<div class=’adsense’ style=’text-align:center; padding: 3px 3px 3px 3px;’>
Your ad code here
Then press button Preview. In new window you will see your blogger with changed template. On place where you can see text
Your ad code here
will be your ad. If you think there is not right place, try to change code above, until you are not satisfied, with place of your ad. When you will be satisfied replace text Your ad code here with your code from AdSense. Then press button Save Template Changes. Your changes will be saved. If you are noticed that you must republish your blog, do it by clicking on the link for republishing.
I hope, that you found right place for your ad code with help of this post. If you want to add more ads on your pages, do it similar and carefully choose right place for them. Pages filled with many ads are not very interesting for visitors, and you can harm your blog. Less is sometimes more. After ads publishing you can check your AdSense reports in next days. Time shows you, if you choose right ad formats and places. If not, you know how to change them now.
On last post you learned how to register in Google AdSense, I hope that your registration was successful. If yes, you can read this post, and you will learn how to create your first ad for your blog. This it the simplest way, how to do it yourself.
Login to your Google Account and click on AdSense service. Ther you choose tab AdSense Setup. On first page you can choose from more AdSense format. Choose AdSense for Content ads. you have more possibilities, but it is the most used format and you can earn more money from this format than from others.
I recommend you to choose on this page option Ad Unit with Text ads only. Then press button Continue >>.
On next page you have to choose size of your ad and their colors. Size of your ad is related on place when you want to add your ad in your blog. It exists some heat map where it is good to place your ad on page. The colors fade from dark orange (strongest performance) to light yellow (weakest performance). As you can see the best place is above your primary content. That means to choose format with width equal or near to size of your main content area. Usually it is 486*80 Banner Format or some others horizontal formats. Choose one from them. Now you must do second important thing. Try to hide your ad on your page. This method is called blending. It means try to choose colors that are similar to colors of your primary content. There is also possibility to save chosen color to your own color palette. And also choose corner style like is used in your template. I read good advice, that people like to click on blue colored links. It is good to choose this color for links in your add and also for your template for blog. Press button Continue >>.
Now it is time to create channel where you can see your stats for created ad. Press link Add new channel and choose name for you channel. Then press link add >> on right side of your created channel. It will move to right list. Press button Continue >>.
Now only choose name for your ad. Later you can change features of your ad from menu Manage Ads. Press button Submit and Get Code.
You are on last page now, and you can see your ad code. Select this code in clipboard.
How to place this code in your blog, I will show you in next post. You need to change your template, to show ad on your pages. This way is good, because you will see ad on all pages of your blog.
Used terms and abbreviationsBlending
To synchronize ad format with other content on your page. Usually it means set the same color for ads like they are used in other content.
Before you start monetize your blog with Google AdSense, you must be sure that you have some content on blog. Simply spoken, you must have enough posts on your blog. There doesn’t exist necessary number of posts, but I think that 10 posts is optimum count to start using Google AdSense on your blog (5 posts is minimum). Before you can add Google AdSense ads on your site, your page will be checked by AdSense team.
I am not sure, if to start monetize blog, before attract some visitors. When you don’t have visitors, you can’t earn money from blog. But on the other side, it is better to have AdSense ads on blog, and you can earn some money also with small amount of visitors. I will show you in next posts how to attract people to visit your blog. When you check your stats in Google Analytics you can have some visitors from Google or other search engines, some from blogger.com site, and some visits from your friends. How much, depends on your niche.
Now I start with introduction of Google AdSense program. Google AdSense is system that shows adverts on your site. Big advantage of this system, that ads are relevant to content of your pages. You are paid, if somebody click on your ads. After clicking on ads, is visitor redirected page on clicked ad. Sometimes you can be also paid, when you show ad a lot of times. But main earnings are from clicks on ads on your site. This is why is this system called PPC (Paid Per Click). Google AdSense is the most used system on sites of the world. And usually it is the best system, how to earn some money from your site. Google AdWords other side of this system. There webmasters create ads, they want to show on other sites (This is paid system of course).
From previous information, it is important to know that Google made this system fraud click safe. If you think, that you earn money by clicking on your own ads, or your friends will click on your ads and you will profit from it, don’t use this system. Because you will never see money from Google. Big Brother, Google, has many possibilities to collect information about each of us. Google AdSense check various patterns to prevent invalid clicks on ads. Once is your AdSense account checked as suspicious, it is only question of time, when you will be banned. After banning from Google you will lost all money on your account, and it is almost impossible to register to system again. There are some alternatives, but usually are these alternatives worse that Google AdSense program. You can earn more or less money. Your earnings will increase, only when you will be patient and hard-working.
Before start with AdSense, you have to register your blog to program. For registration you will use your Google account. But you must fill more informations. It is important to enter correct data, especially your address. These data will be used also for sending checks. Keep in mind, that when you will enter false information, your registration can be declined. At last you must check that you read their policies (Read them carefully!!!), that you will not click on your ads and that you don’t have another account. Then press button Submit Information. It can take 24 hour to AdSense team accepts or refuse your site. In case, that your site will be refused, read carefully reason, correct mistakes and resubmit your application. Now, the most important information: You must earn minimum 100 USD, to be paid. You will be paid 30-th of next month, when your balance reach 100 USD. More info you can find in Payment Guide. I hope that it will be soon, you will receive your first payment.
In next post I will show you, how to create ads, and how to add them to blog.
Many webmaster forums are full of posts with titles I am banned from Google AdSense. Why? Because most of them didn’t read Google AdSense Policies. Don’t do the same mistake.
Used terms and abbreviationsPPC
Pay Per Click is an advertising model used on search engines, advertising networks, and content websites/blogs, where advertisers only pay when a user actually clicks on an ad to visit the advertiser’s website.
Ad serving program run by Google. Website owners can enroll in this program to enable text, image and, more recently, video advertisements on their sites. These ads are administered by Google and generate revenue on either a per-click or per-thousand-impressions basis.
offers pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, and site-targeted advertising for both text and banner ads.